In this article, you will find the best wireless routers of 2017 that you can use to access Internet anywhere in your house or office without any limitations!
We may not want to accept but we cannot deny either that we have become addicted to modern technology – in a positive note of course! Our existence seems incomplete without smartphones, smart TVs and other smart mobile devices that make our lives easier and more enjoyable! Whether home or office, you simply cannot isolate yourself from the gaggle of technological products and to keep them alive and kicking, we need the power of WiFi.
So, to ensure an interrupted supply of WiFi connection throughout our home or office we need a solid wireless router. But, it’s not as easy done as said! Getting a really ‘GOOD’ new router is not a simple job and it requires a lot of logical thinking and market research. With so many different options available in the market, choosing that one wireless router that would suit your requirements may seem like a hard thing to do. Finding the best wireless routers that has all the features you want and also comes within your budget may seem like hitting a jackpot!
Some of the important things that you must consider when looking for a wireless router are the type of mobile devices that will be connected to the router, the number of clients, and the size of coverage area. Furthermore, the buying decision will also be impacted by your specific need for a wireless router. If you plan to use it occasionally then buying a less expensive router will less features would be a good choice. However, if you have an extended family and everyone’s vying for better bandwidth to stream online videos and play Internet games then you need a high quality WiFi router. You will also need to choose between single, dual or triple band routers depending upon your specific requirement.
In this article, we have listed the top 10 wireless routers to take the guesswork out of your buying decision and help you choose the right product!
Best Wireless Routers of 2017
|Device Name||Wireless Communication||LAN Ports||Weight|
|Mikrotik RouterBoard CCR1036-12G- 4S Router||802.11bgn||12||7 pounds||Check Price|
|ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless-AC3100 Dual Band||802.11 b/g/n||8||2.6 pounds||Check Price|
|Buffalo Technology WBR2G54 Wireless||802.11g||4||1.7 pounds||Check Price|
|D-Link DIR 890L Tri-Band Router||802.11ac||4||2.5 pounds||Check Price|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000)||802.11ac||4||3.5 pounds||Check Price|
|Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena MU-MIMO||802.11ac||4||2.6 pounds||Check Price|
|TP-Link Archer C7 Dual-Band||802.11ac||4||1.9 pounds||Check Price|
|ASUS RT-AC3200||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||4||2.2 pounds||Check Price|
|Linksys WRT1900ACS DD-WRT Dual-Band||802.11ac||4||1.8 pounds||Check Price|
|Securifi Almond Touchscreen Wi-Fi Wireless Router||802.11bgn||3||2.9 lbs||Check Price|
Best WiFi Routers of 2017
Mikrotik needs no introduction as the brand offers some of the top rated networking products and today we are going to review the Mikrotik RouterBoard CCR1036-12G- 4S. It is a carrier grade router that boasts a state-of-the-art 36 core Tilera CPU. The exterior framework of the router exudes style and it impresses us with an unbeatable performance! The router surpassed our expectations in almost all tests conducted by us. Although it is slightly expensive than its counterparts, the router comes loaded with rich features that makes it worth every penny. If you are a networking expert, then CCR1036-12G- 4S will perhaps be just the thing you wanted. Beginners will however find it difficult to set up and use as there are several settings and controls.
- It delivers unparalleled speed and incredible performance
- Router doesn’t get hot even if you use it for 12 hours of gaming
- It easily achieves 500mbit of WAN traffic without raising CPU usage
- WAN connectivity has some issues
- No options to use modems and T1 cards
- Setting up the router is not easy for beginners as there are many settings and controls
- It is slightly expensive for new users
Overall, the Mikrotik RouterBoard CCR1036-12G- 4S is an advanced and powerful router that delivers performance at a blazing speed. New users may find the numerous router settings and controls difficult to understand. We would recommend this router for the gaming enthusiasts and business users who need super power and speed.
If you are a computer expert then you probably need no introduction for Asus as the brand is popular for its high-end gaming hardware. However, not many people are aware that Asus is also good at creating top class wireless routers. The product we are going to review next is called RT-AC88U and we must say that we are impressed by its first look. The sleek and stylish exterior complete with antennas is capable of delivering high-speed internet without any performance issues.
- The router is easy to install due to the simple interface
- It comes with 8 Gigabit LAN ports to deliver super fast internet connections
- Wi-Fi range is impressive and the speed is without any interruption
- Simple to use and highly intuitive router
- The USB 3.0 placing isn’t what you would expect in such a high end router
- When it is coupled with an external hard drive and used as a NAS, the router gives average performance
- It is slightly on the expensive side
Overall, the Asus RT-AC88U is a good buy for those who are willing to pay high to get top class performance and Internet speed. For the beginners or those who are not so keen about high speed, we would say there are other routers worth considering.
The router that stands next in our list of the best wireless routers is the Buffalo Technology WBR2G54 Wireless router. It boasts a 54 Mbps high speed wireless connectivity which is impressive. Again, this one is perfect for those who have an extended family with several devices needing connectivity within the house. It also works well for business users as it allows you to securely share your Internet connection. The router comes equipped with some amazing security features such as WPA, WEP, SPI firewall, Intrusion Detector and Privacy Separator. Setting up this wireless router is super easy with just a push of the button.
- Easy to setup and use at home or office
- It delivers an impressive price to performance ratio
- Multiple devices can be connected and work well
- Awesome features at an incredibly reasonable price
- We did not find any negatives worth mentioning
If you are looking for a reasonably priced router that gives you a good bang for your bucks then the Buffalo Technology WBR2G54 is definitely a recommended choice. It might not be a looker, but performance wise it is one of the best you can buy!
The next product on our list of best wireless routers is the D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router. Most of you are already familiar with D-Link brand as it has earned great fame for producing high quality networking products. The D-Link AC3200 wins our hearts with its amazing exterior appearance which makes us wonder whether we are looking at a router or a space jet! During our review, we were not only bowled by the looks of the router, but also its speed and functionality which are highly promising.
- Wi-Fi delivers good performance
- Amazing external appearance and superior build
- Easy to install and use the device
- It has the ability to double up as NAS by addition of extra hard drive
- The six antennas cannot be detached from the body
- It is slightly on the expensive side
If you are seeking an incredibly fast and uninterrupted Wi Fi connection then the D-Link AC3200 gives you just what you want. The impressive external appearance and striking features makes it a winner with customers.
The Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 is next on our list and this dual-band router is one of the best WiFi routers offered by the company. We were impressed by the appearance as well as the performance of the product which completely matches its name. The ultra stylish router comes with three detachable antennas. The router comes fitted with high power amplifiers and antennas to empower your Wi-Fi coverage. The reasonable pricing of the product is a great plus especially for beginners who are looking for a decent router at an affordable price.
- It boasts an amazing performance on the 5 gigahertz band
- The exterior appearance of the router is highly impressive
- It’s loaded with features you cannot expect in a reasonably priced router
- Although it looks great, the router has some extra bulkiness that might not appeal all buyers
- Software can be better with a few improvements
- The 2.4 gigahertz band falls short in performance when compared with rival products
The impressive features and stylish exterior of the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 make it a recommended product. Although it does have some performance issues in the 2.4 gigahertz band, when you consider the price tag of the router, Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 comes as a winner!
If you are looking for a router that isn’t too pricey but has enough features to interest the networking enthusiasts then the Amped Wireless Athena is a good choice. Although it lacks the stellar looks of the other routers on this list, performance wise this product won our hearts. It fared well in almost all tests that we conducted during the review. There are not too many features but the one that are there do not have flaws. With powerful hardware and responsive control panel, the AC2600 delivers the kind of performance you expect from a top-class router.
- The router delivers remarkable performance.
- Installation can be done easily, without any hassles
- The Wi-Fi performance is good even when several devices are connected
- The router lacks some important features for networking experts
- It is slightly expensive for average buyers
Overall, the Amped Wireless ATHENA AC2600 impresses with its hardware and incredible performance that help it secure a position in the best wireless routers. We might not call this product perfect for the experts, however we would definitely say this one is for those who want a simple hassle-free router!
This router boasts a combined speed of 1.75 Gbps which makes it a good choice for those who want to enjoy seamless internet gaming and streaming. This router has a stylish exterior and delivers quality performance which makes this router a good choice. There are six total antennas, three are external and three are internal antennas. The high number of antennas is good at delivering a good Wi-Fi range and speed. It also comes with NAS capability, but the performance is average.
- It delivers an amazing performance at this price
- It comes with average NAS capability
- It offers above average performance on both the bands
- Online gaming and streaming performance is good
- The build quality of the router is average
- You are not getting enough features for the price
This no-frills router is specifically built for the average customers who just need good performance and not plenty of features! TP-Link has rightly aimed this router for entry level and budget oriented customers.
If you are looking for a router that looks great and performs like a dream then this RT-AC3200 by Asus will fit the bill perfectly. This is a tri-band router that comes laden with exceptional features that make it a top pick for networking enthusiast. When we tested the RT-AC3200, we were impressed by the incredible speed and flawless Wi-Fi performance over respectable range. The simple web interface makes it easy to install the device. However, it is worth noting that there are way too many features that might confuse an average user.
- It is clearly a router made for the experts
- It features a robust hardware
- It can work both as NAS server and OpenVPN server
- The router has many features that provides added security
- It takes up a lot of space on the desk
- There are not enough LAN ports (only 4 are available)
- This router is expensive for average consumers
The Asus RT-AC3200 is an absolutely stunning router that offers incredible performance, however the features might be too much for an average consumer. If you do not need the additional capabilities of this router then you may opt for a cheaper alternative.
When we looked at the impressive exterior of the Linksys AC1900 router, we knew instantly that we are about to experience excellent performance coupled with incredible speed. Linksys lives up to its promise and the router maintains the high level of quality. The router is perhaps one of the largest that you might have seen, so your desk will need some cleaning up to place it. There are four antennas that can be detached. It comes with a host of features which makes it a delight for networking enthusiasts. The router is easy to install and you can double up this router as a NAS.
- It comes with a robust and great performing hardware
- The NAS performance is also truly incredible
- The Wi-Fi range is remarkable
- Newcomers may find the default software confusing
- Price-wise it might not be the first choice for average users
The router emerged victorious in nearly all tests conducted by us. We think beginners will find the new software confusing and when it comes to networking experts, there will be a few features lacking for them. However, if you have the cash to splash then this is one of the best wireless routers you can buy, despite some flaws!
10. Securifi Almond – Touchscreen Wi-Fi Wireless Router / Range Extender / Access Point / Wireless Bridge (3 Minute Setup)
Securifi Almond is the world’s first manufacturer of wireless and touchscreen routers. When you take a look at this Wi-Fi wireless router, it looks different from the typical routers that we have seen earlier. However, don’t let the looks deceive you because this small looking device has incomprehensible power to deliver fast speed. We like the fact that it can be used as a primary router, access point, range extender or wireless bridge. When we tested the router for compatibility, we found that it works well with existing routers by Linksys, Netgear or Belkin. The router is compatible with wide ranging devices such as Windows, PC, XBOX, Mac, Linux, iPad, iPhone, and Android.
- It can work as a wireless router as well as a range extended for existing router
- Easy to set up and maintain even for beginners
- The highly intuitive touch screen makes everything transparent
- It is a highly secure router
- It creates an additional 2nd network that you need to find and connect to it
- The software often asks for an update which can be a hassle for some
The Securifi Almond Touchscreen Wi-Fi Wireless Router is easy to set up and it works as expected, however some customers have complained that their units froze and software asked permission to upgrade and so on. If you are a newcomer, we would recommend this router as it is so easy to set up, however networking expects may find this product lacking.
Conclusion – Which Ones According To You Are The Best Wireless Routers?
Given the fact that the market is brimming with different wireless routers and every manufacturer is trying to offer the best, finding that best WiFi routers is not an easy task. The list above has been created considering the needs of both budget oriented customers who want a simple yet good performing router, and the networking enthusiasts who want advanced beasts. Please keep in mind that a good router will always be easy to set up and features will be simple to understand.
With that said, we hope that the list of the best wireless routers helps you find a suitable product that matches your unique requirements and helps you nail your buying decision!