The biggest roadblock a blogger faces when he wants to create a blog is the blog’s domain name. Choosing a right domain is a very crucial task. So how to get the best domain name for your blog. But before that you should read my before posts if you haven’t read it yet. We have discussed about Different blogging platforms and after that I posted about the importance of niche in your blog. So today we are going to take the next step i.e. deciding the domain name for your dream blog.
Why should I have my own Domain name :-
Having your own domain name is the biggest desire for most of the bloggers for many reasons. For a start, it will become your identity in the future – call it your online identity. A carefully selected domain name will help you enhance the branding of your blog, your services and thus will give the respect in the online world. All this will happen if and only if you have selected a domain name that best describes your site. Additionally you will be able to have your own e-mail address with the same domain which will add professionalism and branding to your blog.
How to choose the best Domain name for your blog :-
When you are choosing your blog’s domain, you should keep some points in mind to get the best results in the future. You should choose wisely. Don’t just choose your own name as your blog’s domain name if you are wanting to monetize your blog. But that’s just about your own personal taste. But if you are keen on making money from your blog then you should choose the perfect domain for your blog.
- Describe your blog’s topic :- Your domain name should be such that it should best describe about your blog. Your reader should understand what your blog is all about by just looking at your blog’s domain. This will make them feel that your blog doesn’t contain any junk and is worth visiting.
- Should be easy to remember :- The domain of your blog should not be lengthy. You should keep it short and sleek for others to remember it easily. A person should not get confused when he hears the domain.
- Should consist your blog’s keywords :- Another point to keep in mind is that your domain name should consist the keywords of your blog. Its not always that easy to use all your keywords but try and keep such keywords that you blog the most about. At the same time don’t forget to keep it short.
- Future preferences :- One more thing to keep in mind is that keep it vulnerable for your future updates. I mean to say that, if you are planning to include some more topic to your blog in future, then it should support your domain name. So keep in mind about your future adventures at the time of deciding the domain name.
- Things you should avoid in your domain name :-
- Numericals (eg. ’2′ or even ‘two’)
- Confusing or difficult to spell words.
- Letter jumbles. ( Your domain should not have such words that you feel it confusing eg. softtech )
I hope you that you got the idea of how to select a domain name for your blog or website. These are the basics of domain selection that will help you in your online venture. If you want to get more and some confusing details about selecting the domain name then you would love to read this post on Problogger.
Even I am looking for a domain name for my blog. If you have any ideas about what it should be then please let me know via comments. I had some of the names in my mind but they are all already registered. I would be grateful if you will help me with this thing.
Author Bio: I am Rahul Garewal a content writer and a Professional Blogger. I am certified with Symantec ST0-134 which is very popular these days and have a great scope in the field of IT Certification. I always like to take certification exams and now I have planned to pass Symantec 850-001. These kinds of exams could secure your future as well as your job.